Monday, March 29, 2021

Glasgow

The next meeting of the Conference Of Parties (COP) will be in Glasgow in the middle of Nov. and the climate movement, such as it is, is trying to come up with a strategy that can mobilize people in a way to affect the gathering. And affect the future of the planet. The tension results from the fact that everyone admits the process to date has been a failure, contrasted with a vague hope something positive can arise from this EVENT ( a particular moment in history). I was hitchiking through Scotland many decades ago and caught a ride into Glasgow with a truck driver who warned me that the part of the city he would be dropping me off in (it was late at night) was one of the most dangerous places on the planet. I had no idea Glasgow had that reputation but it was confirmed by others I met in my travels later. My memories are vague but nothing bad happened and I made my way to Inverness the next day where I was adopted by some firemen on holiday who kept me drunk for three days straight. Part of me wonders- if COP is a dangerous illusion ( like US elections and legislating), wouldn't it be more provacative to simply ignore it? Treat it like a non-event unworthy of our attention. Maybe just have a big funeral and bury the shit show once and for all. Because if you invest hope in it you are just Charlie Brown at the moment Lucy pulls the football away. But with much greater consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment