Friday, May 7, 2021

Because Democrats

Sometimes you get educated in the wierdest places. Today for instance, I'm at the lumber yard stunned by the insane jump in prices and the guy loading my two-by-sixes explained that it is because of the Democrats. Seeing my raised eyebrows he explains: because they are giving away so much unemployment cash no one wants to work- hence the crazy inflated prices in wood products. This is certainly not the first time I have heard this crazy right-wing meme offered up by average working stiffs. What is remarkable to me is the fact that this lumber-yard worker has politics at all- and that he is so willing to share them with a total stranger. I lacked the inspiration to defend Democrats or try to present a nuanced case for supporting workers during a pandemic. This exchange exemplifies the problem with expecting "progressive policies" to re-build the workers movement. Many are motivated by resentment toward anyone, no matter how deserving, gaining an advantage over them through government policy. Why the culture war is so effective. More nervousness around climate policy as Wyoming gets ready to sue states that ban fossil fuels. They have enjoyed an incredible boom through extraction and see the writing on the wall. Montana's legislature is also prepared to fight for fossil fuels till the last glacier is melted. Truly a fight to the death.

1 comment:

  1. "What is remarkable to me is the fact that this lumber-yard worker has politics at all,"

    I don't think Klaus Schwab could have said it better.

    ReplyDelete